Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 73

Thread: The Speaker Cable

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    The Speaker Cable

    In this strange audio debate I have never before heard such a straightforward explanation until now....maybe I wasn't paying attention...but I thought this to be at least interesting...if not inflammatory to others. Enjoy!
    YouTube - Townshend Audio Isolda Speaker Cable "geometry matters"
    "This proves that transmission line properties occur at audio frequencies" - Max Townshend
    Townshend Audio - Home

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: The Speaker Cable

    Interesting! I wasn't aware that anyone doubted that 'transmission line properties occur at audio frequencies'. If not, then the design of typical 25-up Hz multi-phase power distribution cabling would be much simpler.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: The Speaker Cable

    I like this part of his description "black art of high end audio"! Personally, I use Monster speaker wire with all of my Altecs and Monster cables to connect my components to my amps and I think the Monster stuff sounds great (but have never done any measurements on their products)--anyone out there have any preference for brand of cables and speaker wire? Funny thing that this was posted today--I was at the Guitar Center last week and the salesman there was trying to tell me that Monster cables can color the sound???
    P.S. Pete Townshend is sure looking old in that video--hope he gets back in shape in time for the Who's performance at Superbowl Halftime this year ;p

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    The Speaker Cable


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: The Speaker Cable

    Quote Originally Posted by voice of the theater View Post
    Funny thing that this was posted today--I was at the Guitar Center last week and the salesman there was trying to tell me that Monster cables can color the sound???
    The rule is, 90% of everything is bullshit.

    When dealing with sales staff, that goes up to 99%.

    I don't care for monster at all. Not that it's bad, just not worth the money. Nobody has to agree with me.

    Personally I would like to do tests against what I use, and do my own tests.

    I spent 40 years in the industry. Sales videos like the one above are deliberately loaded. They searched for days to find the pieces of cable that gave the results they wanted.

    Sales staff spend time selecting music tracks to audition speakers. I'm sure the same for everything else.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: The Speaker Cable

    Anybody notice the worst performers were the 'air-cored inductors'?

    Marshall.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: The Speaker Cable

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post

    I don't care for monster at all. Not that it's bad, just not worth the money.
    Yeah, I always figured the Monster stuff was overpriced, but that it was at least good quality. My CD player, DVD player, etc. came with cheaper cables that needed to be replaced immediately (no gold connectors, etc.)--the Monster Cable at least has gold connectors and their speaker wire is a nice heavy guage compared to the flimsy stuff they sell at my local hardware store. I'm sure I could have saved some cash if I was on this forum back when I was buying all my wire and cables and had asked for some advice as to quality/price etc. back then, but now that I've got them I'm pretty much set. The last several component and speaker upgrades I've done I keep using the same Monster cables and wire--I'm glad I only had to purchase (and overpay for) that stuff once.....
    I figured the salesman at the Guitar Center was full of it and that he was just trying to sell me a guitar cable that they have a higher mark up on.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: The Speaker Cable

    One of the most litigious and "bad faith" names in the audio industry.

    That brand is banned in the circles i travel, and not permitted on my premises.

    Friends don't let friends use the stuff.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member
    The Speaker Cable


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: The Speaker Cable

    In keeping with 90% of everything is bullshit, many gold connectors are not gold. They are simply "gold colored"

    I can't recall but it's some sort of oxide.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: The Speaker Cable

    I agree with Bowtie - no Monster allowed here. True corporate bullies and all around bad guys.
    At least Blue Jeans cables beat them at their little game.

    Nice video but there are a couple of things we don't know from it.
    • The little spikes. Are the within the audio band - can they be heard?
    • Does the DC difference really matter? Is it enough DCR to change the sound of the speaker?
    • Are any of these differences due to anything other than the LCR characteristics of the cable? Not likely

  10. #10
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,863
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Re: The Speaker Cable

    Litz wire...
    Todd W. White, Owner & Webmaster
    Altec Lansing's (unofficial) Homepage

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.